Locke

Read: 'Our psychological properties define the self' by Locke.

Then consider:

1. What is Locke's argument against identifying the person with an immaterial soul?

2. Do you agree with Locke's argument?

3.Suppose I remember when I was ten, but not when I was two. But suppose that, when I was ten, I could remember being two. What must Locke say about my relationship to these two earlier people? With which person (if either) am I identical, and why?

4. What is Locke's definition of a person?

5. What makes a person the same over time?

6. If our bodies change, does Locke think this will make us a different person?

7. How does Locke respond to the objection that a person can lose the memory of some parts of her life and yet we tend to think of that person as still the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment